It’s Tuesday and that means another Top 5 list! This week, it happens to feature March’s ACL Oil of the Month: Lemon essential oil! This delightful citrus oil is one of the top immune boosters, and boasts a plethora of other practical uses (all of which will combine to build up your immune system.) Keep reading to find out some of my favourites, and get some ideas to improve your Spring with Lemon!
1. Forget that artificial stuff that you buy at the grocery store! Pure lemon essential oil is a tasty and healthy option to add to your favourite morning beverage (or at any time of day, really!) Lemon is also useful for cutting down phlegm, and an amazing supporter of digestion so if you tend to fall victim to those nasty seasonal allergies, or stomach problems (chronic or acute), this oil has got your back.
2. You can easily combine several drops to any cleaner (I suggest a natural one) for some extra elbow grease – and to save you a little scrubbing. Other cosmetic household uses include: Furniture polish – mix with olive oil/bee’s wax for an impressive shine; Stain remover – add to carpet cleaner or laundry detergent to help get rid of hard-to-remove stains; Air freshener – rather than use store-bought spray that contains harmful chemicals (whether they admit it on the label or not), mix with water in a spray bottle and spritz away that stench!
3. In today’s fast-paced world, it can be incredibly easy to get distracted when you are trying to focus. The brain benefits from Lemon oil in two major ways: Increases alertness and aids concentration. Inhale directly from the bottle; use in a diffuser; or rub it on your forehead and bottom of your feet to help you focus. There’s nothing gray about that…okay it’s all grey up there, but you get the point.
4. Has this winter gotten the best out of your skin? Frigid weather is notorious for drying out the ol’ epidermis, but this versatile oil just keeps surprising us! Mix with coconut oil and use as a natural moisturizer (try it in your hair too at night). Also, if you have particularly oily skin, try adding a couple drops to your foundation or apply directly to the face to reduce oiliness.
5. If you’re like me, you tend to get overly zealous at the supermarket and buy produce in bulk, leaving you in a panic to use it all up before it goes bad. Or perhaps you’re going out of town for a few days and have a refrigerator full of unused veggies. Here’s a hack to save on waste: Give your fruits and veggies a lemon bath by adding a few drops of the oil to a bowl of water. Then dunk your produce into the water for a few minutes and you’ll be eating the benefits for days!